The year 2020 is an important milestone for the United Nations in many ways, it is also the International year of Plant Health and the year of Nurse and Midwife. The highlights are:
- 75 years of the adoption of the UN Charter or UN+75,
- 25 Anniversary of the Fourth World Conference on Women’s Beijing + 25
- 25 Anniversary of the World conference on Social Development- Copenhagen +25
- Decade of Action on the SDGs SDGs+5
- Paris Climate Agreement +5
UN2020: The UN2020 initiative is dedicated to using the 75th anniversary of the UN in 2020 as an opportunity to take stock and strengthen the UN system in partnership with civil society, governments, and the UN in support of a people-centered multilateralism. To get involved, please follow the link: https://www.un.org/en/un75
Global Conversations:One of the activates around UN+75 is the online global conversation on protecting civic space: SG calls all of us for Global conversation.http://bit.ly/2NwkFLI
Generation Equality Forum:The Generation Equality Forum will celebrate the historic 25th anniversary of the fourth World Conference of Women and the adoption of its landmark outcome framework for gender equality and women’s rights, the Beijing Platform for Action co-hosted by the governments of Mexico and France. Mexico on 7-8 May 2020, the Forum will culminate in Paris, France on 7-10 July 2020. follow the link: http://bit.ly/2FOCG3I, Human rights of women: http://bit.ly/387dWzJ
SDG Decade of Action: 10 years to transform our world. We must be the generation to end extreme poverty, win the race against climate change and conquer injustice and gender inequality. For more info http://bit.ly/2RmTKTx
SDG Education:Organized a zoom conversation with 18 Students from Centre for Social Action, CHRIST University- India to get connected to the SDGs.
Special Request for Quad Report to the UN : MMS Leadership, Sisters Associates, 1) if you have Cooperation with UN system entities ( UNICEF, FAO, WHO, Refugee, UN Women etc.) from 2016-2019, 2)Contribution of the organization to the work of the UN Initiatives taken in support of the Sustainable Development Goals Please inform me by April 15. Report due by May 2020
Interfaith Celebration at the UN Church Center: On 16 World Yoga Community Organized Interfaith celebration and MMS were part of the co-sponsors. Speakers included Ambassadors, Religious, Civil Society and Interfaith leaders. Celine was the only Catholic among the speakers. The Mayor of NYC proclaimed Jan16 as the day of interfaith Celebration.
Reminders for CSW 64 Registration: Date extended to Jan 27/2020
View CSW preparations: http://bit.ly/2Tto0Pn
2019 the state of the world: http://bit.ly/387NZjs
Best short video of2019-Greta Thunberg &George : http://bit.ly/376Beph
Signs of Hope:
- Village for Homeless: Native Americans are about 1% of the US population, they make up 10% of the country’s homeless.Chief Seattle Club—a nonprofit dedicated to ending Native homelessness—launched the Eagle Village in Seattle.
- Senegal became the first African country to begin providing free treatment for women with breast or cervical cancer.
- The Philippines passed a Universal Health Care Act, entitling all its 107 million citizens to health insurance and medical treatment.
Peace and hope to all in the new year! Celine Paramunda